Prompt One Wisdom
What was the wisest decision you made this year, and how did it play out?
The wisest decision I made in 2010 was leaving my job as a medical receptionist at a local doctor’s office to work at home as a full time content writer (instead of the part time that I have been doing since 2007). I made the decision in January 2010. Doing this has drastically reduced my stress level and I am making more money than when I was working outside the home. Do not get me wrong, I still miss the coworkers who became my friends. However, now I can drop everything if needed to attend a school function for my daughter, to take my mother somewhere, sit with my sick grandmother or just to go shopping and the only person I have to answer to is myself. If I do not meet my quota for the day then that means my bills do not get paid. It is all my responsibility and I am absolutely fine with that. When I was working outside of the home I hated the fact that if my daughter was sick or there was a family emergency I could not just drop everything to do what needed to be done. There was no one to cover for me so I HAD to be there or put my coworkers in a really shitty situation of having no receptionist to check patients in, schedule appointments, answer phones, fax and the like. Now, I do not have to worry about that. I can schedule things around MY time. Of course, there is a downside to working at home. 90% of the people who learn I work from home do not think I have a “real” job. They say condescending remarks to me while giving me condescending looks. But screw them! I am less stressed, I have more time to spend with my family and I am making more money! I just hope *knock on wood* that I can continue working from home for many more years to come!
What are 11 things your life doesn’t need in 2011? How will you go about eliminating them? How will getting rid of these 11 things change your life?
1. Unhappiness – Since October 2006, my life has been filled with unhappiness and emotional pain. I have gone through so much and feel like I have cried and pleaded enough to last 10 lifetimes. Things have started to turn positive the past few months and I hope they continue to get better.
2. Judgment – I want people to stop judging my career choices. When I come to you for money then you can tell me to get a “real” job.
3. Stress – Since I left my old job my stress level has reduce dramatically. However, I do still have some and would like to eliminate as much stress as possible.
4. Lies – I hate to be lied to.
5. Our Living Arrangements – I absolutely hate our living arrangements and hope they can be fixed in 2011. This is the cause of most of my stress.
6. Missing Family – I do not get to see my Dad (or his side of the family) nearly as much as I would like.
7. Lazy People – I have a few lazy people in my life that need to learn to do stuff for themselves and stop expecting me to do everything for them. They are grown adults for God’s sake!
8. Loneliness – Some days I feel so alone, wishing I had a close friend to hang out with.
9. Condescending Remarks – Especially about my job or my photography. I have had people say “we would have had you take our pictures but we wanted a REAL photographer”. I have never spouted out that I am a professional or “real” photographer but friends and family members know I have a photography business and I have taken pictures (and gotten paid) for people. So for someone just to come out and say that when I did not remark to them about anything is just down right condescending.
10. Rudeness – Is it me or are people just getting ruder every day?
11. Bossiness – There is a certain family member who likes to tell me (as well as everyone else) what to do. They spout orders at me like a drill sergeant even though I have told them that I am 30, married with a teenage daughter and will do what I want when I want and how I want.